Art, Design, Media and Floristry at Newcastle-under-Lyme Collge




Thursday 23 June 2011

In the spotlight with... Nicola Whitmore

Nicola Whitmore joined Newcastle-under-Lyme College two years ago to study a Foundation degree (Fd) in Contemporary Art Practice.  Originally a nurse from Leicester, Nicola aged 37 moved to Staffordshire to retrain in the creative industries. 

Whilst at NULC Nicola has overcome many obstacles, being a mature student with dyslexia Nicola was daunted by the thought of starting education again but she says she has made the most of the support on offer from the College.  “With dyslexia all my lecturers have supported me throughout the course, I have received one-to-one tutorials and with the Learning Support Officer.”




At NULC students are encouraged to take part in live briefs, which is something Nicola has made the most of during her two years of study. “I painted a mural at Thisley Hough High School and had my work displayed at the Victoria Mill Art Centre.”

Nicola reflects on her time at NULC saying “I have really enjoyed my time at NULC, it has been brilliant to meet like minded people with the same ambition and determination as you.  The environment is more mature and having a dedicated University-Centre is brilliant.”

Nicola says she would recommend NULC to anyone looking to study a creative subject “I feel the support and commitment to the students is 100% and I have gained more confidence in what I want to achieve in life.”


Nicola now intends to launch her own Art Café named Sublime, which will provide an area for local artists and students to exhibit their work and relax in an informal atmosphere.

Nicola’s art work is on display at the NULC Art Exhibition until Saturday 25 June 2011.  To view the exhibition opening times click here 

To find out more about the range of University-level courses at NULC visit www.nulc.ac.uk/he.

No comments:

Post a Comment